Friday, September 16, 2011

BBAW - Ex Libris


It's Book Blogger Appreciation Week! AKA BBAW - September 12-15. Book bloggers everywhere are sharing their love of books and blogging with each other and their followers, but, as an author, I wanted to share my love of book bloggers in my own way. Why? Because I wouldn't be where I am without them. Seriously.

Our last-but-not-least book blogger this week is Stella at Ex Libris. I was absolutely thrilled when Stella agreed to read Promise because it meant my book was going overseas for the first time. See, Stella lives in Budapest, Hungary! What a thrill it was, as a new author, to have my book "reviewed internationally." Turns out there are lots of awesome bloggers all around the world, but it was - and still is - way cool. Although Alexis and Tristan do some world traveling (*cough* hint for Devotion *cough*), I never imagined Promise making its way around the globe, especially before it even came out.

So, yeah, I was a little excited, but what my email discussions with Stella really drove home back then was how widespread and diverse readers of American books are. It made me feel pretty small because here were all these people reading literature not written in their native languages and I can barely remember 20 words in each of the three (yes, three!) languages I took in high school and college. I'm so pathetic. I know.

But I'm eternally grateful to Stella and all the other international readers and bloggers. Thank you! Merci! Gratzi! Gracias! Danke! (And I remember the Russian word for "thank you" but not how to spell it with the Latin alphabet. :-P)

Anyway, let's get to know Stella!

KC: Tell us about yourself in 10 words.

S: Passionate reader and dreamer, loyal friend and devoted big sister. :-)

KC: If you tweeted a general message about your blog, what would it say (140 characters or less)?

S: Curious to know what I just read and what I thought of it? Swing by Ex Libris for a fun chat about books, characters, genres and a lot more! :-)

KC: What’s your favorite genre to read? 

S: Romance and urban fantasy!

KC: What are you favorite blogs to follow? 

S:

Just to name a few, but there are so many wonderful ones!

KC: Have any bloggers inspired you or your blog? 

S: Book Chick City was one of the first blogs I stumbled upon when I discovered book blogs existed and was amazed at how shiny and full of info it was.

 I was a big fan of Book Lovers Inc. and now I’m part of their team and love all the girls! :-D

Steph from Paper Cut Reviews inspires me all the time. She is full of wonderfully creative ideas to make the blogosphere a better world and bring bloggers closer. She is one of the kindest and most generous people I know :-)

KC: How did you get started blogging? 

S: One of my colleagues told me about cooking blogs and after a few days I wondered if there were blogs where people talked about books. Oh, I had no idea!  So I googled it and happened upon tons of book blogs! I debated for about 1 week whether to create one of my own, whether I would have the time and whether I could contribute anything besides so many great blogs, but I wanted so much to talk about books I have read, that I thought, what the hell, I’ll start and we’ll see. And it has been 1.5 years since then and I’m loving it :-D

KC: What is your favorite part about being a blogger? 

S: The community! Meeting other bloggers with whom we can passionately debate about books and characters and the big revelation was discovering how friendly and approachable authors are! I’m still amazed :-)

KC: What’s the hardest part of being a blogger? 

S: Organizing everything! I have a 10 hour-a-day full time job and there simply isn’t enough hours in the day for me. My inbox is one of the things I fear the most and am constantly battling with, my guilt will be the death of me.

KC: What do you do when a book you agreed to review just isn’t working for you? 

S: I try to write an objective and balanced review where I tell the things what didn’t work for me. It may not be the book’s problem, it might simply be that it wasn’t the book for me.

KC: Do you ever get reviewer’s block or in a reading slump? 

S: Reviewer’s block yes! I am usually struck by inspiration when I’m walking to the bus stop or around town, full sentences just flow in my mind about what I want to say about a novel, then when I am on a deadline and see the blank page those wonderfully constructed sentences are lost and I can’t recall them. I am a procrastinator Queen, so sometimes scheduled reviews are left until the very last minute, when that puts some additional pressure on me as well ;-p

KC: How can we connect with you? 


Thank you, Stella! And thank you to all our book bloggers this week who participated and all of those I didn't get a chance to interview. One common thread I've seen all week long is that these lovely ladies' favorite part of what they do is the book blogging community, which should tell you something. It really is a fabulous community.

If you're not involved in it, I encourage you to follow a few book blogs. I've given you 5 this week and they've each provided even more links. Check them out. Find the reviewers you click with most. Support your favorites. And if you have your own book blog, please list it in the comments below.

1 comment:

  1. How did I miss book blogger appreciation week?! I feel so bad. *weeps* I love book bloggers! They always keep me in good books and what they do for authors is inspiring. :)

    ReplyDelete

Glad you stopped by. Nothing to say? Just say "hi" so I know you were here.