Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Teaser Tuesday

Excerpts won’t go up on the Promise website for a while. For now, here’s another little bit from it:

The store felt empty and ominous when I first arrived, but I came early to have a little extra time before opening. Mom kept a small office in the back room and I thought she might be more likely to hide something there than at home, where I might find it. I tugged on all the drawers of her desk and filing cabinet, but, of course, they didn’t budge, locked against intruders…and snoopers like me. There were no loose papers on her desk and only one large, flat envelope in her inbox. She was annoyingly organized.

I glanced at the single piece of mail and my eye caught on the corner where the return address should be. Instead of an address, though, there was a strange, yet vaguely familiar symbol and the word “Amadis” embossed into the paper. I picked the envelope up and studied it closer, holding it to the light, but I couldn’t read anything inside. I briefly debated whether I could get away with opening it and resealing it, but eventually just dropped it back into the tray. It was probably from a publisher and I had seen the symbol on a book’s spine. Or, for all I knew, it was just junk mail, not worth the risk.

I hope you enjoyed it. If you're looking forward to Promise or any other book coming out by a new author, check out this blog post by Rebecca over at Diary of a Virgin Novelist. Great ideas to support your favorite authors, especially debut writers.

3 comments:

  1. can't wait to read the changes... very excited!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amadis? What's Amadis? Huh? Well? Explanation? Now? You cruel, torturous author, you! I had to laugh though, I did that once or twice with mail addressed to mum - taunting me with it's super confusing logos and labelling and envelopes that did not know the meaning of the word 'transparent'.

    Anyway, love the teaser!

    ReplyDelete

Glad you stopped by. Nothing to say? Just say "hi" so I know you were here.